Lean Frontend Engineering
By Bill Scott
- Read The Lean Startup by Eric Ries
- Lean UX
- MVP – minimum viable product
- Know when to pivot - a new/better/specialized product may me what needs to be created instead (you only know to pivot via feedback)
- Release in small batches (iterate)
- Lean UX – 3 Key Principles
- Shared understanding – more understanding, less documentation
- Deep collaboration – ideas come from many voices, trust is essential
- Continuous customer feedback – lifeblood of the team, eradicate politics
- Healthy product lifecycle
- Discover customer insights (observe in the real world, don’t assume, get feedback)
- Define Customer Problems (based on observations determine the problems or areas of improvement)
- Define Solutions Concepts (determine potentially solutions)
- Deliver and Test (implement and test the determined solutions)
- Ensure the genius designer’s ideas are tested with users/customers. A genius designer may ultimately clash with another genius designer’s ideas.
- The formation of tribes/groups of people is natural and ok, but ensure that collaboration with other tribes/groups doesn’t stagnate.
- Newcomer, ensure they get the cadence of what is trying to be done and recognize early they fit.
- Going Dark, working in isolation from time to time is necessary, but don’t let collaboration stagnate as a result.
- Shared understanding, always ask what do you mean by X? Ensure jargon is understood.