Noded - All-in-One Organization App
The purpose of this article is to open-source and share UX notes about Noded—my personal organization app since 2014. Apparently I've been using Noded for almost a decade now 😅.
- App Stores have pain-in-the-ass overhead
- I hadn't made a PWA yet
- I wanted to redesign and add some core features that weren't in the Android version
Since I've used Noded daily for so many years, I deemed the effort warranted. I additionally wanted to open-source the repo so others could use or fork it—so have at it.Open-Source Repo Launch App
Noded is an all-in-one todos, ideas, notes, and calendar app. Get a taste via the screenshots below:
Nodes View - Toxic Wasp Theme
Nodes View - The Oil Theme
Nodes View - Coffee Swirl Theme
Nodes View - Classic Light Theme
It's my opinionated and stylized way of organizing along a timeline calendar. It is designed for getting in and out quickly unlike most apps which require additional and unnecessary clicks/taps:
- Make your node (todo, idea, note, whatever) and get back to your life.
- Read your nodes and get back to your life.
- Auto Today - opens to Today nodes section (a default node with a quote is created if there is none)
- Zip to Today - button to always get to Today quickly when scrolling nodes list
- Add Node - auto focuses input and auto opens mobile keyboard
- Time Tag - minimal input to associate a time with a node (progressive disclosure UX principle and minimal input max output UX)
- Tag Sort - nodes with Time Tags are auto sorted by day and prioritized over nodes without Time Tags
- Quick Date - single-click/tap common default dates (Whenever, Today, and Tomorrow) before a calendar picker is needed via Later
- Whenever Node - sometimes assigning a date doesn't make sense so the "Whenever" section houses all these nodes
- Edit Mode - easily edit an existing node's content, its Time Tag, or its calendar date assignment
- Same Button - when just editing a node's content you can simply use the "Same" button to save all existing Time Tag and Calendar settings with the node
- Auto Zip - automatically scroll to the "just saved" node to see it in context of existing nodes
- Bulk Delete - easily bulk delete and undo deleted nodes
- Merge Nodes - easily merge 2+ nodes into one
- Themes - a bunch of rad themes to customize to your style
Noded works out-of-the-box using
localStorage. Feel free to build, fork, and/or self-host it for yourself using the now open-source repo.
Below are various screenshots with different themes that visualize many of the UX notes mentioned above.